Search This Blog

Inspiration


So....intro over and if I haven't bored you, dear reader, to death the point of it was to tell you what my background was. More to the point while I do like "trainsets" (narf narf) and layouts and the like my interest is limited and incidental. What I mean by that is while I am getting better I often forget what each class is and threads on fora about good or bad detail of a particular released kit mean very little to me as I don't look at them with the scrutiny that is so often seen on such places.

Hornby VEP - Heinous and wrong....apparently
 My main interest is scenics, specifically structures and buildings. While I have built a few kits (better than I used, no glue everywhere!) and had a go at some scratch building MOST of what will follow has been built by Matt (Ying). I suppose the main point of this blog, if there is one, is to talk about techniques that I have learned elsewhere (see...there was a point to all that) translate into this world, and they are techniques that are often not used by others. I have often seen something on a layout while well constructed I often think "would be better if I had painted it" or perhaps more accurately "if someone with these techniques had painted it" (not arrogant - such observation and opinion). On that note actually I will be the first to admit that I do think construction is the greater skill over painting. Having said that I also firmly believe the best constructed kit, kit-bash or scratchbuild can be ruined by a piss poor paint job. Conversely something built that is a bit....erm...bodgy can also be saved, or at least disguised by a good one (paint job).

1930s Half Relief Cinema - Built (bodged) by me!

However, I do enjoy painting and weathering locos. Actually painting them (as in a re-spray) is a pain in the arse but it's all a means to an end (again more on that later). Weathering however is great fun and to me takes something made of plastic (and looks obviously so) and makes it look real.

Project 206 - Dirty!

No comments:

Post a Comment